The Suffolk Sports Hall of Fame has officially announced its Class of 2018 and inductees will be honored in a ceremony on May 10 at Watermill Caterers in Smithtown.
“It’s with great pride that we introduce the Class of 2018,” said Chris R. Vaccaro, Executive Director of the Suffolk Sports Hall of Fame. “We have a diverse group ranging from pro to amateur athletics, all with an undying passion for their hometown of Suffolk County. We can’t wait to celebrate with the Class of 2018 in the coming months.”
Tickets for the induction ceremony are available here!
The Suffolk Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2018 inductees are:
- Stephen Bowen: Former NFL player from Half Hollow; works in operations for the NFL
- Robert F. Burkley: Decorated track and field coach in Middle Country Schools from 1964-1998
- Joe Dooley: Suffolk County football official for 39 years, rated No. 1 for 12 straight seasons
- Cheryl Klein-Obelar: Record-setting shot/discus thrower at Bellport and University of Houston
- Edward J. Morris: Former Executive Director of Suffolk Sports Hall of Fame from 2000-2017
- Matt Ryan: Highly decorated U.S. Olympic Handball player from Miller Place
- Harry Schneider: Decorated track and field coach in Middle Country Schools for 32 years
- Shannon Smith: West Babylon native, Hofstra lax coach, All-American, Tewaaraton winner
- Clem Stancik: Brentwood tennis coach; Winningest tennis coach in New York history
- Hans Wiederkehr: Babylon football coach and longtime Suffolk football administrator
- Special Recognition Award: Bay Shore Junior Fire Department Racing Team
The Hall of Fame will also debut the Edward J. Morris Lifetime Achievement Award, of which Morris will be the inaugural recipient.
Induction Ceremony Details
- Date: Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Location: Watermill Caterers, 711 Smithtown Bypass, Smithtown, NY 11787
- Time: 6:30 p.m. cock tail hour; 7:30 p.m. induction
Hall of Fame Contact: HOF Executive Director, Chris R. Vaccaro, SuffolkHOF@gmail.com.