Whalen, SaraJune 16, 2018
Ambrosini Honored with Outfield SignJune 20, 2018
It starts with Boomer Esiason and trickles down from the top. There were so many Suffolk Sports Hall of Fame connections at this year’s Empire Challenge high school football all-star game that it was almost a reunion.
A number of inductees or individuals associated with the Hall were roaming the sidelines or in attendance at the game on June 15.
Obviously the game is played in support of the Boomer Esiason Foundation to bring awareness and fundraising towards the fight against cystic fibrosis. Boomer is an inductee and one of Suffolk’s all-time greats.
Here’s a look at who else was involved:
- Pete Blieberg, inductee: Runs the show as the game’s coordinator
- Stephen Bowen, inductee: Named honorary captain for Team Long Island
- Joe Cipp, inductee: His grandson Cole Cipp, a senior at Bellport, played for Team Long Island
- Tom Combs, inductee: Game administrator for Team Long Island
- Fred Fusaro, inductee: In attendance to support Team Long Island
- Bob Herzog, inductee: Covered the game for Newsday, his last event ever before retirement
- Gregg Sarra, inductee: In attendance on sidelines for Newsday
- Chris Vaccaro, executive director: Writes the game program feature stories each year
- Hans Wiederkehr, inductee: Named Michael Brennan Spirit Award winner in 2018, game administrator for Team Long Island
- Brent Ziegler, inductee: In attendance to support Boomer Esiason Foundation